DuckDuckGo is a general search engine like Google. We differentiate through:
- Privacy: We don't track our users.
- Smarter Answers: 450+ Instant answers above any links and ads developed through our open source community via DuckDuckHack.
- Simplicity: Less clutter, less spam, fewer ads and an overall cleaner design. We can do this since we just focus on web search and therefore don't have to promote other services on our results pages.
- No filter bubble: We don’t bias search results towards what we think particular users would already agree with.
- See the timeline at the top of our about page for the complete history.
- Solo founded in 2008 by Gabriel Weinberg and self-funded for the first few years.
- Series A funding from Union Square Ventures in late 2011.
- Launched our open source Instant Answer platform DuckDuckHack in 2012.
- DuckDuckGo reimagined and redesigned mid-2014.
- Included in Apple's Safari and Mozilla's Firefox in 2014.
- 600% increase in traffic since the NSA revelations broke, on course to do more than three billion searches in 2015 and growing.
- 50% of DuckDuckGo's users are from the US, 45% from Europe and the remaining 5% from Asia-Pacific.